Today’s Oxford, Mississippi History Lesson: The Oxford Brick and Tile Company
Located all around Oxford are bricks that look a little different than the rest. Some are made of just plain red clay, some have the names of university alumni inscribed on them, but there are some that have Oxford stamped right in the middle, that are far less common.
In 1904, J.W.T. Faulkner (William Faulkner’s grandfather) and C.W. Petrie incorporated The Oxford Brick and Tile Company. In 1911, the company was sold. During the seven year tenure that the factory was open, more than 100 years ago, each brick produced was stamped with the “Oxford” logo.
So, next time you see a brick with writing on it (other than on the Walk of Champions), take notice. It could be one of the remaining products of the Oxford Brick and Tile Company.
The Green Door Co. actually collects these bricks to sell in their store. According to Missy Hopkins, who owns the store with her husband Will, say these bricks make the perfect gift for any Oxford or Ole Miss fan.
The Green Door Co. is a local furniture company which focuses on one-of-a-kind pieces created from reclaimed timber, trim and hardware. Visit them on the web at www.thegreendoorms.com and be sure to like their page on Facebook.