61.9 F

John Cofield's Oxford & Ole Miss: Cedar Oaks

Photo courtesy Susan Smith Sahag

Cedar Oaks ~ Once standing on the corner of North Lamar and Jefferson Ave., Cedar Oaks in now located at 601 Murray St. The day the old house ‘up and split’ was a show-stopping scene. Along with Ammadelle, the two had anchored either end of our signature view looking south to the Courthouse. But on this day, the two halves of Cedar Oaks eased out into North Lamar and rolled on past Ammadelle heading north. Standing in front of the building on the left, Hassell Smith watches his family’s old house go.

John Cofield is a HottyToddy.com writer and one of Oxford’s leading folk historians. He is the son of renowned university photographer, Jack Cofield. His grandfather, J.R. “Colonel” Cofield, was William Faulkner’s personal photographer and for decades was the Ole Miss yearbook photographer. Cofield attended Ole Miss as well.
Stay tuned for more information on Cofield’s forthcoming book: Oxford, Mississippi ~ The Cofield Collection — a pictorial history book with John’s writing on the history to go along with the photos.
Contact John at Johnbcofield@gmail.com.

Most Popular

Recent Comments

scamasdscamith on News Watch Ole Miss
Frances Phillips on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Grace Hudditon on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Millie Johnston on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Binary options + Bitcoin = $ 1643 per week: https://8000-usd-per-day.blogspot.com.tr?b=46 on Beta Upsilon Chi: A Christian Brotherhood
Jay Mitchell on Reflections: The Square
Terry Wilcox SFCV USA RET on Oxford's Five Guys Announces Opening Date
Stephanie on Throwback Summer
organized religion is mans downfall on VP of Palmer Home Devotes Life to Finding Homes for Children
Paige Williams on Boyer: Best 10 Books of 2018
Keith mansel on Cleveland On Medgar Evans