59.6 F
Oxford

Inside the Paris-Yates Chapel

Photo by Robert Jordan/Ole Miss Communications

 

By Michael Harrelson, editor, HottyToddy.com

michael.harrelson@hottytoddy.com

The Paris-Yates Chapel at Ole Miss is among the newer buildings on the central campus, but its origins date back to 1975, when students chose a campus chapel as a charitable project. With the assistance of alumni, the students raised $12,000 for the chapel fund. The following year, then Chancellor Porter L. Fortune, Jr. appointed a committee to plan the future chapel.

Along with choosing a design for the chapel, the committee also was charged with suggesting possible sites for its location.

The committee’s recommended a traditional chapel, centrally located, as a “setting for interdenominational worship services and rooms for prayer, meditation, Bible study, small discussion groups, counseling, and weddings.”

More than a quarter of a century after the idea was conceived, the 200-seat chapel was dedicated in April, 2001 as “a quiet place for prayer, meditation, and worship in the heart of a busy university campus.”

Most Popular

Recent Comments

scamasdscamith on News Watch Ole Miss
Frances Phillips on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Grace Hudditon on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Millie Johnston on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Binary options + Bitcoin = $ 1643 per week: https://8000-usd-per-day.blogspot.com.tr?b=46 on Beta Upsilon Chi: A Christian Brotherhood
Jay Mitchell on Reflections: The Square
Terry Wilcox SFCV USA RET on Oxford's Five Guys Announces Opening Date
Stephanie on Throwback Summer
organized religion is mans downfall on VP of Palmer Home Devotes Life to Finding Homes for Children
Paige Williams on Boyer: Best 10 Books of 2018
Keith mansel on Cleveland On Medgar Evans
Albert Moore on