38.7 F
Oxford

Cedar Oaks Heritage House

John Cofield's Oxford & Ole Miss –– Cedar Oaks Built in 1859 by William Turner, Cedar Oaks is a Greek revival structure that has survived a tumultuous past.  The home was the headquarters of General McPherson during Grant’s occupation of Oxford in 1862. Molly Turner Orr gathered a fire brigade to save the home when it was set aflame by occupying Union troops in 1864. Nearly a century later, Cedar Oaks was moved 2.2 miles from it’s original location to safeguard it from the encroachment of commercial development. Presently, the home is maintained by the Oxford-Lafayette Historic Homes, Inc., and is available by reservation for civic clubs, teas, receptions, weddings, and tours.

Most Popular

Recent Comments

scamasdscamith on News Watch Ole Miss
Frances Phillips on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Grace Hudditon on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Millie Johnston on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Binary options + Bitcoin = $ 1643 per week: https://8000-usd-per-day.blogspot.com.tr?b=46 on Beta Upsilon Chi: A Christian Brotherhood
Jay Mitchell on Reflections: The Square
Terry Wilcox SFCV USA RET on Oxford's Five Guys Announces Opening Date
Stephanie on Throwback Summer
organized religion is mans downfall on VP of Palmer Home Devotes Life to Finding Homes for Children
Paige Williams on Boyer: Best 10 Books of 2018
Keith mansel on Cleveland On Medgar Evans