Seph Anderson, Sportswriter to The South, focuses his sports writing skills on covering timely Ole Miss & SEC news, among all things sports across the South.
Follow @SephTheRebel for Ole Miss news from an Ole Miss guy …
No. 16 Ole Miss travels to No. 4 Florida Saturday night for a date with a very talented Gator team.
A closer look at team notes and statistics is quite defining of Florida’s current level of play.
Interesting Notes Entering the Game:
– Ole Miss’ last win against a Top 5 opponent came in the 2001 SEC tournament against Florida
– Rebel Guard (G) Marshall Henderson is tied for third in the nation in three-point field goals per game (3.8)
– Andy Kennedy is 1-6 as a head coach against the Gators
– Kennedy is only two wins away from tying B.L. Graham for most all-time wins at Ole Miss (144)
– Florida has held 15 of 19 opponents this season under 60 points
– Florida enters the game on a nine game win streak
– Florida is outscoring SEC opponents 28.3 points per game
Significant Team versus Team Statistics:
– Scoring Margin: Florida (+22.6 per game, 2nd nationally), Ole Miss (+16.4 per game, 9th nationally)
– Scoring Defense: Florida (51.2 ppg, 3rd nationally), Ole Miss (65.1 ppg, 118th nationally)
– Opponent Field Goal Percentage: Florida (36.1%, 5th nationally), Ole Miss (38.6%, 33rd nationally)
– Rebound Margin: Florida (+8.9 per game), Ole Miss (+3.4 per game)
For an Ole Miss team coming off a home loss to Kentucky where they also suffered two injuries to key reserves, the afore mentioned game notes and team versus team statistics don’t bode well.