Delta Gamma was founded in December 1873, in Oxford, Mississippi, at the Lewis School for Girls near the University of Mississippi. The group was founded by Mary Comfort Leonard, Eva Webb Dodd and Anna Boyd Ellington.
The early growth for Delta Gamma was confined to women’s colleges in the Southern United States. But within a few years, Delta Gamma began to spread across the country. This expansion was due in part to the help of George Banta, a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. Because of the assistance provided by Banta, Delta Gamma retains close historical ties with Phi Delta Theta.
The badge of Delta Gamma is a golden anchor and Delta Gamma’s motto is “Do Good,” and its flower is the cream rose.
Delta Gamma’s philanthropic focus is on service for sight. Delta Gammas have funded genetic research, low-vision adaptive devices, tapes, Braille books and hundreds of life-enhancing programs. Delta Gamma also has sponsored city service centers for the visually impaired and schools for the blind.
Delta Gamma was one of seven charter members of the National Panhellenic Conference when the first inter-sorority meeting was held in Boston in 1891. Today, Delta Gamma has 146 collegiate chapters in the United States and Canada as well as 230 alumnae groups in the United States, Canada and England.
— John Cofield