The Ole Miss women’s tennis team completed its home opening SEC weekend with a 5-2 loss to No. 11 Georgia here Sunday at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center. On Friday, the Rebels defeated Tennessee 5-2 to begin the weekend.
With the loss, the Rebels fell to 6-4 overall and 1-3 in the SEC, while Georgia improved to 9-2 overall and 3-0 in conference play.
The Rebels return to action Wednesday, hosting VCU at Noon. Fans will receive a free Ole Miss tumbler.
Georgia took the early lead by winning the doubles point with wins at one and three. The nation’s No. 2 ranked team of Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase beat Erin Stephens and Iris Verboven 8-2 and then Julia Jones and Zalina Khairudinova lost for the just the second time all season and first in conference play, falling 8-4 to Caroline Brinson and Lilly Kimbell.
The Rebels fell behind 3-0 as Georgia earned quick straight set wins at one and two behind the play of No. 10 Herring and No. 12 ranked Silvia Garcia, who beat Khairudinova and Caroline Rohde-Moe, respectively.
Mai El Kamash got the Rebels on the board with a straight set 6-3, 6-0 win over Kate Fuller at No. 4 singles.
Moments later Mia King clinched the win for Georgia, defeating Stephens 6-1, 6-2 on court five. Georgia won a supertiebreaker at No. 3 singles after dropping the first set, and Ole Miss’ Verboven won a supertiebreaker at six after losing her first set for the final 5-2 score.
Follow the Rebels on Twitter, @OleMissWTennis and on Facebook at OleMissWTennis.
#11 Georgia 5, #49 Ole Miss 2
1. #2 Herring/Kowase (UGA) def. Stephens/Verboven (OM) 8-2
2. Rohde-Moe/Milutinovic (OM) vs. Fuller/Garcia (UGA) 4-5, sus.
3. Brinson/Kimbell (UGA) def. Khairudinova/Jones (OM) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. #10 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Zalina Khairudinova (OM) 6-0, 6-0
2. #12 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Caroline Rohde-Moe (OM) 6-2, 6-1
3. #22 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Julia Jones (OM) 4-6, 6-2, 10-6
4. Mai El Kamash (OM) def. Kate Fuller (UGA) 6-3, 6-0
5. Mia King (UGA) def. Erin Stephens (OM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Iris Verboven (OM) def. Caroline Brinson (UGA) 1-6, 6-4, 10-7
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 6
–Ole Miss Sports Information
Lady Rebels Tennis Team Splits Weekend With Loss To Georgia
Mississippi Band Of Choctaw Indians Fights To Survive Diabetes And COVID-19
OHS 2 Minute Morning - Jan. 26
A Father's Journey to Recovery After Losing His Son to Drugs
PRESSER Yolett McPhee McCuin 01 25 22 Courtesy of Ole Miss Sports
Redefining Rural Trent Robertson Feature Story
OHS 2 Minute Morning Jan. 25
OHS 2 Minute Morning Jan 24
OHS 2 Minute Morning 1 21 22
OHS 2 Minute Morning 1-20
OHS 2 Minute Morning 1-19-22