Robin and Will Clayton fell in love with Chicken Salad Chick while living and working in Auburn, Alabama.
“I owned a clothing store, and Will was working in construction,” Robin said. “I was eating at Chicken Salad Chick three times a week; I was a fan before I ever thought about opening a store.”
As the story often goes, the Claytons were looking for something new to do, and after considering their options, it only made sense to open a franchise of the restaurant they already loved.
“This is our first restaurant, but it’s a fairly simply concept,” Robin said.
Chicken Salad Chick, which began in 2008 and has more than 65 locations throughout the southeast, offers more than a dozen different variations on chicken salad, from traditional to sweet or spicy. For those who may not be in the mood for chicken salad, Robin said there are also turkey sandwiches, pimento cheese, salads, soups, mac-n-cheese and fruit salads to choose from.
“We also have catering packs for parties and game days and kid’s meals for the kids,” Robin said.
The new Oxford location will open on Tuesday, March 28, at 1305 Merchants Drive in the Galleria II Shopping Center near Marshalls and Ulta, and will be offering plenty of perks for its first-time customers:
• Tuesday, March 28 – “Free Chicken Salad for a Year” – The first guest will win one large Quick Chick of chicken salad per week for an entire year; the next 99 guests receive a large Quick Chick of chicken salad per month for a year.
• Wednesday, March 29 – The first 100 guests to purchase The Chick will receive a limited edition Chicken Salad Chick RTIC Tumbler.
• Thursday, March 30 – “Thirsty Thursday” – The first 100 guests to purchase The Chick will receive a free large drink and a Chick Coozie.
• Friday, March 31 – “Free Scoop Friday” – The first 100 guests will receive a free scoop of Classic Carol chicken salad.
• Saturday, April 1 – “Kids Eat Free All Day” – Kids will receive one free kid’s meal with the purchase of The Chick.
“We’re trying to do a lot in the Oxford community; we’re not originally from here, but we’ve visited Oxford a lot in the past and love it,” Robin said. “We’ll be out meeting everyone at the Double Decker Festival on April 29, too.”
Chicken Salad Chick officially opens Tuesday, March 28, and will be open Monday through Friday 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Find out more at chickensaladchick.com/oxford, on Instagram at oxford.chick, or by calling (662) 380-5582.
Robin said, “Come in and try it; you’ll be hooked.”
Liz Barrett Foster is the EatingOxford editor for HottyToddy.com, an award-winning business journalist and author of the recently published Pizza: A Slice of American History. Liz ran the popular restaurant information site EatingOxford.com from 2009 to 2015. Liz can be reached at email@example.com.
Follow HottyToddy.com on Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat @hottytoddynews. Like its Facebook page: If You Love Oxford and Ole Miss…