Keerthin Karthikeyan, an eighth-grader at Oxford Middle School, is making an impact on the environment with his work on recycling Styrofoam.
At the State Science fair on Friday, April 5th, with his project titled, “Styro-carbon: An effective approach to recycle Styrofoam” Karthikeyan won several awards including:
1) First place in his Environmental and Earth Science Category.
2) NASA Earth System Science award for the project that offers the Greatest Insight into Earth’s interconnected Systems.
3) “Best of Fair” award for Class 3.
At the Regional Science fair, on March 20, Karthikeyan’s project won seven awards in total:
1) “Overall Best of Fair” alternate award
2) 1st Place in Environmental Science category
3) Ricoh Sustainable Development award 2019 for Technical innovations that offer the greatest potential for Sustainable development.
4) 2019 Broadcom Masters award for outstanding performance
5) Exceptional Genius award from Genius Olympiad*
6) Regional Junior Water Prize award from SIWI Stockholm, USA
7) Early inventor Prize from The Lemelson Foundation for the development of Outstanding invention.
As a Genius award finalist, Karthikeyan will be presenting his project at Genius Olympiad international science fair at SUNY Oswego, New York in June 2019.
Courtesy of the Oxford School District