Ole Miss linebacker Deterrian Shackelford is the Southeastern Conference Football Community Service Team Player of the Week.
Shackelford is a graduate student at Ole Miss, having just completed a master’s degree in higher education. He is currently pursuing a second master’s degree.
The Decatur, Alabama, native makes the SEC Community Service Team for the second straight year.
Community Service Highlights:
- Helped lead a 2013 spring break mission trip to Panama and a 2014 spring break mission trip to Haiti.
- Spent his 2011 summer as a pre-college program counselor for the Division of Outreach and Continuing Education at the University of Mississippi. Was a counselor for students in Gear Up, a federally funded grant residential program that brings rising 10th graders from around the state to the Oxford campus for week-long classes. After his time with three sessions of Gear Up, he continued as a summer counselor with JumpStart, a credit program for incoming UM freshmen.
- Has volunteered at the Oxford Food Pantry, helping serve groceries to those in need
- Took part in a dunking booth that raised funds for cancer patients
- Has volunteered with Relay for Life, Reading with the Rebels and Adopt-A-Basket
- Has visited patients at Batson Children’s Hospital in Jackson, Miss., and Graceland Nursing Home and Hermitage Gardens assisted living in Oxford
- Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., with whom he has participated in a number of service activities
- Semifinalist for the 2013 Coach Wooden Citizenship Cup award
- 2013 SEC Community Service Team
- 2010 and 2013 nominee for the Wuerffel Trophy, which honors exemplary community service with outstanding academic and athletic achievement
- Graduated in three years with a bachelor’s degree in history and a minor in English
- Received a master’s degree in higher education in May 2014
- Working toward a second master’s degree
- 2013 National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Award Semifinalist
- Five-time selection to the SEC Academic Honor Roll … Several selections to university honor rolls
- Lott IMPACT Trophy watch list for the second straight year
- First ever two-time winner (2011 and 2014) of the prestigious Chucky Mullins Courage Award, which is presented annually to an Ole Miss defensive player that embodies the spirit of the late Mullins – courage, leadership, perseverance and determination
- One of the team’s most vocal leaders returned to the field in 2013 after missing the 2011 and 2012 seasons due to knee injuries. He was awarded a sixth year of eligibility for 2014 and is the starting middle linebacker.
- Named to ESPN.com’s 2013-14 SEC All-Bowl Team after he posted seven tackles, a sack and two QB hurries in the Rebels’ Music City Bowl win over Georgia Tech
- Received the 2011 Jeff Hamm Award as the Most Outstanding Defensive Player of spring drills
- 2009 SEC All-Freshman pick by the league coaches
Follow Ole Miss Football on Twitter (@OleMissFB) and Facebook (Facebook.com/OleMissFootball)
–Ole Miss Sports Information