Unseasonably cold air is predicted to blow through Mississippi this week. The American Red Cross offers seven tips for Oxonians to stay safe and prepared for icy winds and roads.
“People may not be expecting such cold weather this early in November, so we want to be sure they know how to prepare and stay safe while staying warm,” said Bob Devaney Mississippi Red Cross regional disaster officer.
Here are seven tips to help Oxonians before and during the cold temperatures:
1. Wear layers of lightweight clothing to stay warm. Gloves and a hat will help prevent losing body heat.
2. Bring the pets indoors. If that’s not possible, make sure they have enough shelter to keep them warm and that they can get to unfrozen water.
3. Avoid frozen pipes – run water, even at a trickle, to help prevent them from freezing. Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night to help avoid freezing pipes.
4. Do not use a stove or oven to heat the home.
5. Space heaters should sit on a level, hard surface and anything flammable should be kept at least three feet away.
6. If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
7. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
For additional information about winter safety, please visit redcross.org or visit them on Twitter at @RedCross.
The weather will affect those who have little. Here are a couple of opportunities to share the holiday warmth through frosty days.
The Oxford-Lafayette Humane Society would appreciate donations of towels, sheets and blankets that aren’t needed so they can provide some warmth for some of their dogs who will have to sleep on cold floors during the winter.
There is a donation spot for clothing drop off in the Kroger’s parking lot near TeQuilas. Those clothes will help keep veterans warm. It’ll be a great way to celebrate Veterans Day today.
Callie Daniels is the staff reporter for HottyToddy.com. For more information please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are You Ready For a Freeze Warning?
HTC A Look Back at NCAA Baseball Regionals and more
HTC EP #3
05 15 23 Yolett McPhee McCuin Press Conference Ole Miss WBB
Ole Miss baseball team host Auburn a look back at the NFL Draft, News and more
HTC A look at the NFL Draft First Round and a Look Ahead to Georgia
Mingo in the first round? - HTC EP.1
Hotty Toddy Chat Double Decker
Hotty Toddy Chat A Look Back at the Grove Bowl, ahead to the LSU Series and News
Head Coach Lane Kiffin Grove Bowl
Jaxson Dart Grove Bowl