50 F

Laquon Treadwell Wins Fan Votes for C-spire Conerly Trophy

Photo by Josh Bonner/ Libertine Images
Photo by Josh Bonner/ Libertine Images

Laquon Treadwell, an Ole Miss wide receiver, won the fan votes for the 2015 C-spire Conerly Trophy. Voting began on November 24 and ended today at 1 p.m.

Treadwell and MSU quarterback, Dak Prescott, were neck in neck during the open voting times. However, Treadwell pulled ahead with 45 percent of the votes (12,020) and Prescott tailed behind with 44 percent of the votes (11,946). For a full list of the results and percentages, visit C-spire.

The Conerly Trophy honors the top college football player in Mississippi annually and is voted on by the public. There were a total of 10 Mississippi college football players in the running. Schools represented were Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Jackson State University, Mississippi College, University of Southern Mississippi, Delta State, Mississippi Valley State University, Millsaps College, Alcorn State University and Belhaven University.

The prestigious award is named after College Football Hall of Famer, Charlie Conerly, who also played for the New York Giants from 1948-1961. As a 1948 graduate of Ole Miss, Conerly played football for Coach Johnny Vaught during his tenure at Ole Miss. At the time, he led the national record of passing completions with 133 of 232 attempts and 61 consecutive passes (61) with no interceptions until Archie Manning broke his records, according to Coach Hugh Wyatt, who wrote an profile on Conerly.

Fan voting for the C-spire Conerly Trophy will count for 10 percent of the final votes, which are voted on by a panel of sports media in Mississippi to make up the remaining 90 percent of the votes.

The C Spire Conerly Trophy banquet is nearing a sellout, but still has limited seating for the December 1 program at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. A 5:30 p.m. reception will be followed by the 6:30 p.m. dinner program. Coaches and finalists from all the schools are expected to attend. Tickets are $100 each. For availability or more information, go to msfame.com or call 601.982.8264.

Congrats Laquon Treadwell and Hotty Toddy!

Emily Newton is a staff writer for HottyToddy.com and editor for Experience Oxford Magazine. She is a recent graduate of the Ole Miss Meek School of Journalism and New Media. Emily can be reached at emily.newton@hottytoddy.com. 

Follow HottyToddy.com on Instagram and Twitter @hottytoddynews. Like its Facebook page: If You Love Oxford and Ole Miss…

Most Popular

Recent Comments

scamasdscamith on News Watch Ole Miss
Frances Phillips on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Grace Hudditon on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Millie Johnston on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Binary options + Bitcoin = $ 1643 per week: https://8000-usd-per-day.blogspot.com.tr?b=46 on Beta Upsilon Chi: A Christian Brotherhood
Jay Mitchell on Reflections: The Square
Terry Wilcox SFCV USA RET on Oxford's Five Guys Announces Opening Date
Stephanie on Throwback Summer
organized religion is mans downfall on VP of Palmer Home Devotes Life to Finding Homes for Children
Paige Williams on Boyer: Best 10 Books of 2018
Keith mansel on Cleveland On Medgar Evans