Courtesy of Adam Stites and SEC Country.com
A first-round pick in the NFL draft is an accomplishment for a college program, but Ole Miss has a chance at three different players getting taken on the first day.
With so much top-level talent, NFL teams have filled the schedules of a few Ole Miss prospects, including wide receiver Laquon Treadwell and defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche, who each have a list of teams to visit in the last few weeks before the 2016 NFL Draft begins at the end of April.
The athletic offensive tackle is largely considered the consensus favorite to go to the Tennessee Titans with the first overall selection where he would protect Marcus Mariota, so it isn’t too surprising that other teams aren’t wasting their time to kick the tires on Tunsil.
Tennessee sent an enormous contingent to the Ole Miss Pro Day on Monday, including the general manager, head coach, offensive line coach and national director of college scouting, among others.
According to Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball, the Baltimore Ravens had a private meeting with Tunsil at the NFL Scouting Combine, but there aren’t any other reports of teams spending time with or scheduling meetings with the offensive tackle.
One of, if not the top receiver in the draft class has been projected all over the first round, so plenty of teams have taken the opportunity to take a closer look.
Among the teams interested:
- Cleveland Browns: Treadwell spent Thursday with the Browns, according to multiple reports.
- Cincinnati Bengals: On the Pro Football Talk radio show, Treadwell said he had a visit scheduled with the Bengals.
- Chicago Bears: On the Pro Football Talk radio show, Treadwell said he had a visit scheduled with the Bengals.
- Dallas Cowboys: On the Pro Football Talk radio show, Treadwell said he had a visit scheduled with the Bengals.
- Detroit Lions: In an interview with Brooke Cersosimo of NFL.com, Treadwell said his agent was working to set up an April visit with the Lions.
- Miami Dolphins: Treadwell told Ben Garrett of Scout.com that he has an upcoming visit with the Dolphins.
- Minnesota Vikings: Darron Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis reported that Treadwell will visit the Vikings in April.
- New York Giants: In an interview with Brooke Cersosimo of NFL.com, Treadwell said his agent was working to set up an April visit the Giants.
- San Francisco 49ers: Met with Treadwell on Sunday in Oxford, Miss., one day before the receiver’s pro day on Monday, according to Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.
Other teams like the Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars, San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans all reportedly showed interest at the NFL Scouting Combine or Ole Miss Pro Day, but there aren’t reports of private workouts or meetings outside of that.
There are questions about the character and previous off-field issues of the talented defensive lineman, so there are plenty of teams that would like to speak with Nkemdiche privately and form their own opinion.
According to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports, there are 16 different teams scheduled to visit with Nkemdiche. While not all of those teams have been revealed, the Denver Broncos are the first stop, according to Ben Garrett of Scout.com.
Tony Pauline of DraftInsider reports trips to meet with the Chicago Bears, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are also on the schedule.
It might be a while after the top three prospects for Ole Miss get picked before another Rebel comes off the board, but wide receiver Cody Core might be a solid option in the middle rounds.
According to Pauline, Core has already privately worked out for the Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots, and has visits with the Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers still on the way.
Jake Thompson of the Oxford Eagles reports Core also has workouts with the Arizona Cardinals and Detroit Lions lined up.