Brrrrrr! These frigid temperatures in Oxford have us wanting soup and the warm comfort foods we love. The only problem is that I find myself tired of the kitchen following these recent holidays! My Hearty Beef & Vegetable Soup recipe will only take a little time but makes a large batch that will last you several days. You can share with friends or freeze some for later!
You can find more of Karen’s family recipes and her frozen products, online at notime2cook.com.
- Two 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- Two 28 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 6-8 large onions, chopped (or 4 lbs. frozen chopped onions)
- 3 qts. water
- 8 oz. jar “Better Than Bouillon” Beef Base
- 2 t. black pepper
- 1/4 c. minced garlic
- 5 lbs. ground chuck
- 5 lbs. frozen mixed vegetables (or combination of frozen veggies of your choice such as butterbeans, corn, green beans, carrots, etc.)
- salt to taste
- Bring tomatoes, tomato sauce, onions, water, and seasonings to a simmer.
- Divide ground chuck into 3 balls and drop into simmering soup. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Scoop meat from pot into a shallow pan. Cut up with a knife and fork.
- Return crumbled meat back to soup pot. Add frozen vegetables and bring back to a simmer. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- The fat from the ground chuck will rise to the surface. Skim off with a ladle. Click here to see other tips for removing fat from the surface of soup and stews.
In 2005, Karen Kurr began selling her Cajun and southern dishes at local farmers markets. Today, her frozen meals are still made from scratch in Oxford, Mississippi, and sold in 200 Kroger stores, independent retailers and online. Karen’s passion is simple: to help bring families back to the dinner table. Her products make dinner easier when you are short on time. Karen continues to share family recipes with loyal customers on hottytoddy.com, the NoTime2Cook website and on social media.