54.5 F
Oxford

King Cotton Moved In Front of Old Federal Courthouse in 1886

1511604_460178297415448_426960725_n
In 1885 the first United States Federal Building was constructed in Oxford. It served as the Federal Courthouse and Post Office until 1975, when it was renovated and converted to Oxford’s city hall.
In this 1886 photo, cotton bailed at The Gin (later the Gin bar), down the hill on the other side of Neilson’s, is hauled to the Square and lined up on Jackson Ave. to unload at The Warehouse (later The Warehouse Rest and Bar). The Warehouse burned in 1986.
John Cofield is a hottytoddy.com writer and one of Oxford’s leading folk historians. He is the son of renowned university photographer Jack Cofield. His grandfather, Col. J.R Cofield, was William Faulkner’s personal photographer and for decades was Ole Miss yearbook photographer. Cofield attended Ole Miss as well.
Contact John at Johnbcofield@gmail.com

Most Popular

Recent Comments

scamasdscamith on News Watch Ole Miss
Frances Phillips on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Grace Hudditon on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Millie Johnston on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Binary options + Bitcoin = $ 1643 per week: https://8000-usd-per-day.blogspot.com.tr?b=46 on Beta Upsilon Chi: A Christian Brotherhood
Jay Mitchell on Reflections: The Square
Terry Wilcox SFCV USA RET on Oxford's Five Guys Announces Opening Date
Stephanie on Throwback Summer
organized religion is mans downfall on VP of Palmer Home Devotes Life to Finding Homes for Children
Paige Williams on Boyer: Best 10 Books of 2018
Keith mansel on Cleveland On Medgar Evans