49.8 F
Oxford

Rebel Cup Brings High Level of Soccer to Oxford

The Mississippi Flood Futbol Club is hosting their 2nd annual Rebel Cup this weekend. The Rebel Cup will be held at the Oxford Lafayette Sportsplex.

“We are excited to host 74 teams from multiple states for select soccer this weekend,” said Dr. Michael Perry, founder of the Oxford Lafayette Sportsplex.

Co-founder of the Mississippi Flood Futbol Club, Chuck Trost, and club administrator, Jennifer O’Connor, are directing the tournament.

“We had to turn away teams and clubs because we just ran out of space. We are fortunate to be able to use the Oxford High School field and Lafayette High School field to accommodate the older teams,” said Trost.

“This is the largest soccer tournament ever held in north Mississippi,” said Perry. “We have filled up every hotel in Oxford, and people are staying in Batesville, New Albany, and Grenada as well as renting condos. It will be a nice addition to our economy. Visiting parents and coaches are asking about the Oxford Square. They are excited about seeing what Oxford has to offer.”

“The success of the club has attracted many players from north Mississippi. Our teams are well coached and our club provides an environment where the serious soccer player can continue to compete as they compete in the U16 and U18 divisions. Our club is comprised of about 60% Oxford boys and girls and the remaining 40% are from surrounding towns like Greenwood, New Albany, Pontotoc, Grenada, Senatobia, Amory, Tupelo, etc.”

Coach Tim Murphy had a call from Senatobia this week, Coach Jamie Perkins has kids calling from West Point, and Coach Hunter Craine has a U14 player from Starkville. The word is out and the Flood is attracting players from all over.

”Adding a coach like Norman O’Connor certainly helps the club. He has a D license and his teams continue to show improvement.”

While youth sports are not all about winning, the Flood certainly does its share. Last weekend at the John Talley tournament in Memphis, the Flood took 10 teams finishing with 6-1st place teams and 2-2nd place teams.

“It is about player development by providing the kids the best coaching. The winning takes care of itself,” said Coach Perkins.

While that may be true, the Flood is winning. The U9 girls have not lost a tournament all year and the U12 girls have won 5 tournaments in a row in 4 different states. Coach Murphy’s U9 boys won the GIT, one of the largest tournaments in the Southeast and his U10 boys dominated again in the John Talley tournament.

“One of the primary goals of the club and complex was to provide the best coaches and the right parents. We have great parents and they are the backbone of the club. I continue to be impressed with their dedication and willingness to help. This tournament is just another example of how fun it is to be working with people who have the same goals for their kids,” Perry explained. “We are excited to support the community while providing a great environment for kids.”

Most Popular

Recent Comments

scamasdscamith on News Watch Ole Miss
Frances Phillips on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Grace Hudditon on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Millie Johnston on A Bigger, Better Student Union
Binary options + Bitcoin = $ 1643 per week: https://8000-usd-per-day.blogspot.com.tr?b=46 on Beta Upsilon Chi: A Christian Brotherhood
Jay Mitchell on Reflections: The Square
Terry Wilcox SFCV USA RET on Oxford's Five Guys Announces Opening Date
Stephanie on Throwback Summer
organized religion is mans downfall on VP of Palmer Home Devotes Life to Finding Homes for Children
Paige Williams on Boyer: Best 10 Books of 2018
Keith mansel on Cleveland On Medgar Evans
eye nose what eye nose on SASI Demands UM Administrat